Tuesday 16 July 2013

But How Will I Pay The Rent?

Hello friends.

Some of you may already know this, for others this might drop your jaw, or some might not give a flying monkey's butt fluff but either way, I am throwing in the towel at my restaurant.

It has been a very long, hard and fatigue inducing 14 months, 8 of which I have been running the show and I am both proud and ashamed to say, I am tired.

There are many jobs I can accomplish when I am either bored or unappreciated but very few that I can do when I am both.

Friday is Fight Night in the hospitality world so I feel that it only fair that I go out with a bang in full hospo style - on my knees in a pool of sweat and meat juice, prepared to get completely ass raped by a docket machine.

Friday, August 2 , I will prepare myself for a 15 hour day, at the end of which I will hang up my black jacket and wish them Adieu. As it will be my last shift, I am hoping it will be the biggest showdown my little two man show has ever seen.

I will be sad, happy, emotional, indifferent, hostile, shouty and probably a wee bit drunk (courtesy of the 15L goon sack that resides above the meat slicer). Hoping I can feel the heat and the adrenaline one more time, giving me burns I will never get rid of before I move onto bigger and better things.

Aaaand for the moment I am jobless scum. Assassin's Creed Day anyone?

Peace and fire. ChefLife.

4 comments:

  1. WAIT! What are you going to do? I have been in the industry for a decade now and every time I get ready to say it's my last; it never is! Even if the pacific divides our workplaces, it is sad to lose you to another industry.
    Just started following your blog this last month. Brilliant and outstanding work! You do the life justice. Deep gratitude and respect for putting the story to paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't be the end of me as a chef. I love it too much. Just at this restaurant I need a break. I'm going traveling with a friend and then by myself, just having a break from it all. Coming back with a fresh energy and that adrenaline addiction I've been missing the last couple of months. We always say it's the end you're right, but we always crawl back to our favourite stations one way or another. It's not over until we've slept, and I'll sleep when I'm dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Traveling helps!
    i left Aus 18 months ago and moved to Canada where ive been working hard (tourists suck balls over here). It gives you a new look on food when you're in another country, learning their way of things.
    I hope you keep up the blog!
    good luck for your Big Finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I just need to get that love back. A few months of resenting work can really crush you. I won't be ending the kitchen career, and certainly not the blog :) I have too many apprentice stories still left to tell. I could write this thing all day even if I quit tomorrow I reckon.

    ReplyDelete