Wednesday 8 May 2013

Being A Chef...

The most confronting change I've noticed since moving from apprentice to sous to head chef, is that the percentage of my day spent holding a clipboard has significantly increased.

I manage to keep it around the 18% mark and I don't plan on having it grow from there. I like the down and dirty bits about the kitchen. The heat, the sweat, the pressure (won't lie, I could do without the smell...)

But the day I finish a dinner service with a clean jacket, I will hang it on the wall and walk out. Get an office job or ask "Would you like fries with that?" Hey, at least it'd be a pay rise.

But doing my nightly ordering just kills me. I'm tired. I'm sore. I don't want to crunch numbers and call suppliers. I want to go home, chuck on Breaking Bad and have a beer or seven.

Being a chef to me, pretty much means ordering shit I don't want, to make meals I won't eat, to satisfy cunts I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment